Lightning Strikes Lubbock Home, Owner Puts Out Fire Himself
Wade Wilkes, a Lubbock homeowner, managed to save his house with a fire extinguisher after it was struck by lightning on Memorial Day.
KAMC News reports that the family noticed a loud sound a bit after 9 a.m. on May 31st and then smelled something burning. Wilkes went into the garage, opened the door to the attic and saw flames. He then yelled for the family to dial 911 and to get him the fire extinguisher they kept in the house.
Since then, Wilkes has said that he has learned from the experience and will now be adding fire detectors to his attic.
Lubbock Fire Department Captain Phillip Grandon said that it's a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher around in the home in an accessible location that everyone knows about. Grandon says that if you catch the fire when it's small, you can save your house a lot of damage.
Anyone looking to keep a fire extinguisher around the house should purchase an ABC fire extinguisher, according to Grandon. He also told KAMC that anyone who needs to remember how to use it can remember the acronym P.A.S.S., which stands for Pull the pin, Aim the extinguisher at the base of the flame, Squeeze the operating handle and Sweep from side to side.
5 of the Largest Water Parks in Texas
Throwback: See Texas Tech in 1947