I am the kind of person that has allergies anywhere I go but in Texas they seem extra bad sometimes. Different allergies hit depending on where you live, but have you ever wondered if your city is the worst?
A new study came out showing the worst places in the United States that have allergies and a Texas city is making it up at the top of the list.
The report looks at these three important factors:
- Tree, grass, and weed pollen scores
- Over-the-counter allergy medicine use
- Availability of board-certified allergists/immunologists
According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, the number one city with allergies is Wichita, Kansas.
- Worse-than-average tree and grass pollen
- Higher-than-average allergy medicine use
- Fewer board-certified allergists/immunologists
The Top 10 U.S. “Allergy Capitals” of 2023
- Wichita, Kansas
- Dallas, Texas
- Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Sarasota, Florida
- Cape Coral, Florida
- Orlando, Florida
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Greenville, South Carolina
Texas comes in with Dallas at number 2. I was really surprised by this one. The next Texas city came in at number 12, Houston and McAllen came in at 25.
Below are peak blooming/allergy seasons for trees common in and around Texas:
- September, February-March: Fall Elm.
- Winter months: Mountain Cedar.
- Spring months: Ash, Mulberry, Sycamore, Willow.
- March – April: Oak.
- April: Pecan.
How To Protect Yourself:
- Cover your hair outside
- Take your shoes off before going into your home
- Don't wear outside clothes to bed
- Shower before bedtime
- Wash bedding in hot, soapy water once a week
- Wipe pets off with a towel before entering your home
- Keep pets out of your bedroom
- Keep windows closed
- Use nasal rinses & allergy sprays
KEEP READING: See 25 natural ways to boost your immune system
The Abandoned Herring Hotel in Amarillo, Texas