This Common Condiment Could Save Your Child’s Life
The ingestion of button batteries has increased drastically over the past decade. In fact, since 2010, the journal Pediatrics notes that over 70,000 children under the age of 18 have ended up in the ER due to either swallowing this electrical device or inserting it into their ear or nose.
Unfortunately, what many don't realize is that when this tiny item is combined with saliva, it generates an electrical current. This reaction can lead to severe burns and perforations of the esophagus, paralysis of the vocal cords, and even death. The scariest part of all is that these injuries can occur within as little as two hours.
While you may be thinking that you don't have any of these batteries in your home, they're actually found in a myriad of common household items like calculators, key fobs, remote controls, and garage door openers. They also power kid's toys and games, light up toothbrushes and shoes, flashing jewelry, and singing greeting cards.
If your child ingests one of these items, it's imperative that you seek medical attention immediately. However, if you have honey on hand, it can greatly reduce the instance of injuries when taken at regular intervals. Experts with the National Capital Poison Center recommend giving 10 mL (tow teaspoons) of this natural sweetener every ten minutes until you get to the hospital.
Important Safety Rules to Follow
First and foremost, do not stop somewhere else to get honey before going to the emergency room. Time is of the essence when this type of incident occurs. Second, remember that children under the age of one should never be given honey unless specifically directed by a healthcare professional. Finally, do not induce vomiting and do not allow your child to consume any other food or drink until they are seen by a doctor.