Lubbock Murder Trial Halted Due to Witness’ ‘Markedly Different’ Testimony
Tuesday, March 9th, prosecutors requested that the charges against 32-year-old Isaias Cabello be dismissed after a witness gave testimony that didn't match what they told police previously.
Cabello was facing 99 years in prison.
KAMC News reports that Cabello had pleaded not guilty to the December 2015 murder of Henry "Joby" Anderson. It happened in the 2000 block of Cedar Avenue Street in Lubbock.
A Lubbock Ambulance had been flagged down by a pickup truck in the 3300 block of 33rd Street. Paramedics were told a man inside the truck had been shot. Paramedics began performing first aid, but Anderson ended up being pronounced dead while still at the scene.
Minutes before, police responded to a shots fired call at 2006 Cedar Avenue. It was determined that this is where the shooting occurred.
Cabello went two-and-a-half years without being arrested. It wasn't until 2018 that he was located in an apartment complex in Colorado Springs. Reports say that Cabello was found under a recliner where a chunk had been cut out for a hiding spot. He was eventually brought back to Lubbock, Texas for his trial.
In the trial, it's reported a witness gave testimony that was different from what they said in 2015, so prosecutors said they felt there were constitutional and ethical problems with the trial.
"It's not enough to say, 'We probably got the right guy,'" said Chief Prosecuting Attorney Barron Slack.
Cabello will not see the inside of a courtroom again unless new evidence is presented, KCBD noted.
10 Restaurants That Have Closed in Lubbock, Texas