George Strait Officially Announces ‘Honky Tonk Time Machine,’ His New Album
George Strait continues to bear the title of King of Country Music with the announcement of an official release date for his new album, Honky Tonk Time Machine.
Strait wrote more than half of the songs on the new project — his name appears on eight of the 13 tracks, including one alongside a fellow country music legend. Strait and Willie Nelson co-wrote the duet "Sing One With Willie," which fans got to hear when country's hot new duo premiered it during a Willie Nelson tribute concert in Nashville in January.
Strait also teams up with longtime collaborators Dean Dillion and his son Bubba Strait to pen most of the album's other tracks, with acclaimed songwriters Lori McKenna, Luke Laird, Barry Dean and Buddy Cannon also lending their talents to the album.
True to its title, the tracklist highlights country themes on songs like "Every Little Honky Tonk Bar" and just-released "God and Country Music," which features an appearance by Strait's 6-year-old grandson, Harvey, and its title track. Other songs include "Sometimes Love," "Old Violin" and the album's first release inspired by his love for tequila, "Codigo."
The new project is Strait's first studio album since 2015's Cold Beer Conversation, which marked his 26th No. 1 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart. He dropped hints about this new album during his Strait to Las Vegas show in December of 2018.
"I'm really excited to have some new music coming out. It's been about two years since I’ve released a record. It was great writing with Bubba and Dean again and creating such a beautiful song with Bubba and Jeff Hyde," Strait reflects in a press release. "Also, it was a very special thing for me to be able to write and sing one with the legend Willie Nelson. I hope everyone enjoys listening to Honky Tonk Time Machine as much as I enjoyed making it."
Fans will get their hands on new music sooner rather than later, as the album is due out on March 29. Strait is set for two sold-out shows at the T-Mobile Arena for his residency on Feb. 1-2, and will perform a one-night-only show at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta one day after the album's release, on March 30.
George Strait's Honky Tonk Time Machine Track Listing:
1. "Every Little Honky Tonk Bar" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon)
2. "Two More Wishes" (Written by Jim Lauderdale and Odie Blackmon)
3. "Some Nights" (Written by Bubba Strait, Brice Long and Phillip White)
4. "God and Country Music" (with Harvey Strait) (Written by Luke Laird, Barry Dean and Lori McKenna)
5. "Blue Water" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon)
6. "Sometimes Love" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon)
7. "Código" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon)
8. "Old Violin" (Written by Johnny Paycheck)
9. "Take Me Away" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon)
10. "The Weight of the Badge" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon)
11. "Honky Tonk Time Machine" (Written by Bubba Strait, Brice Long and Bart Butler)
12. "What Goes Up" (Written by George Strait, Bubba Strait and Jeff Hyde)
13. "Sing One with Willie" (featuring Willie Nelson) (Written by George Strait, Willie Nelson, Bubba Strait and Buddy Cannon)
George Strait's Custom-Built Mansion Is Amazing!
Love George? You'll Dig Texan Cody Johnson Too