CBS Sports Report Says Texas Tech-Gonzaga Game Moved to 2021
Over the past few years, Texas Tech Red Raider Basketball has upped the quality of their non-conference schedule by playing neutral site games against top-ranked teams. One of those games for the 2020-21 season was a game against Gonzaga to be played in Phoenix, Arizona.
While there hasn't been an official announcement from Texas Tech yet, CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein reported Tuesday night (October 6th) that the Texas Tech vs. Gonzaga non-conference game has been moved to the 2021-22 season.
The schedule change makes sense since Division I teams will be playing fewer non-conference games in a condensed 2020-21 schedule. As of now, the Big 12 Conference is still set to play 18 conference games for the 2020-21 season, with the Big 12 Conference Tournament set for March 2021, and then the NCAA Tournament to be played in March & April 2021.
Last month, the NCAA released new start dates and guidelines for the Division I 2020-21 basketball season due to coronavirus. Among the highlights:
- Teams can begin practicing on Wednesday, Oct. 14th
- First game can be played starting Wednesday, Nov. 25th
- No exhibitions or scrimmages will be played
- The maximum number of contests was reduced by four
- The Council recommended a minimum of four non-conference games
- Teams may play no more than 27 regular-season games
Last season, the coronavirus pandemic hit in the middle of the Big 12 Conference Tournament and led to the cancellation of the NCAA Men's & Women's Basketball Tournaments.