School Zone Reminders
Dear Parents – now that school is back in session, here are a few reminders on how one should behave when dropping off and picking up children from school.
- It is illegal to use your cell phone in a school zone when the school zone lights are flashing. If you are caught, you will be fined up to $200. But furthermore, if you cannot wait to take that phone call or send that text until you get out of the school zone for the safety of the children, then you need to consider re-prioritizing your life.
- Do NOT stop in the middle of the street to drop off or pick up your child. This is not only dangerous for your child, but it is very rude and inconsiderate to other parents who are just trying to get through the school zone.
- If you see a vehicle that has properly pulled over to the side of the road to drop off/pick up their child and they are now making an attempt to leave (you know they are trying to leave because their blinker is on to pull out into traffic) be considerate and pause for a moment to let that vehicle out. Seriously, do be a jerk!
- Most school zones have a speed limit of 20 mph when the school zone lights are flashing – that is not a suggestion, it’s the law, adhere to it for the safety of our kids.
- One word – CROSSWALKS; use them!
I understand that traffic is a mess around schools during drop off and pick up and I understand that you want to get in and get out as quickly as you can – just please remember that these laws and guidelines are put in place to keep our children safe. God forbid it’s your child that is struck by a vehicle because someone else couldn’t follow the rules.
(I will step down from my soapbox now.)